Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's starting to feel like Christmas..........

A quote from my Farmer:  "It just doesn't feel like Christmas until you tromp through the woods, murder a tree, take it home, stand it up in your house, and pretend that it is still alive."  This past week, we murdered our tree, so now it feels like Christmas.
My Farmer has been commenting for the last couple of years that we should just buy a fake tree, it would be much easier.  This year I told him I was OK with the idea of a fake tree.  (This is were the reverse psychology comes in.)  So every other day or so I would say, "should I go buy a fake tree?".  He would just shrug his shoulders and walk off.  Then the last time I said it, he said "well, neither one of us have ever had a fake tree for Christmas".  I stated that now that the kids are grown up and on their own, maybe it was time for a change.  That did it.  The next day we went out and murdered our tree.
My Farmer tries to be a scrooge at Christmas, but it really just isn't in him.  He really loves it.  We have had many wonderful "memorable" Christmas' together.  And a big part has always been getting the Christmas tree.  I grew up with nice Christmas trees, but my Farmer's family always had huge trees for Christmas.  So from the start, my Farmer has always gotten huge trees for us.  Which totally thrilled me.  When we moved into this smaller house, the trees had to get smaller, and I was totally OK with that.  This year, however, the tree we got is a little "full".  It takes up a lot of space, in our little living room.  But, once again, I'm OK with that, it's all a part of Christmas.  You have to be careful moving around the furniture that has been scrunched together to make room the tree, and gatherings happen in real close quarters, which we just consider important "bonding" time.
As I ponder my Farmers quote, I wasn't sure about the "pretend it's still alive" part (I know it's not alive, silly).  But as I look at our tree twinkling with lights, adorn with ornaments collected from years past, it really does seem to sing out  "Believe! I am Alive".  And if you think about it, is that what the spirit of Christmas is all about? 
We, here on the farm, are believing and wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

No comments: