Saturday, March 30, 2013

It's not always best to be pushy....

Well, we have officially started the calving season.  Had one calf born without problems, got right up and ate.  Always good.  Then we had one cow decide to prolapse.  She probably didn't really just lay there and say I think I will mess with my Farmer today and push my insides out but sometimes you wonder.  I mean really, when she felt that urge to push, all she had to do was get up and run around the feed lot a couple of times and things would have wiggled back to where they were suppose to be.  Simple.  But noooo, she had to keep pushing.  So into the corral she must go.  Thus, we had our first cow chase of the season.  At least most of the frozen cow turds on the lot are thawed out so it wasn't too rough.  I did get high centered once when I tried to follow the tractor track through the snow.  Evidently the tractor has more clearance than my ATV.  Go figure. Hehe By the time I got unstuck my Farmer had the cow almost to the corral.  I was able to catch up just in time to turn her in to the gate.  Good timing on my part, I believe.  We got her in the chute, My Farmer got all her innerds pushed back in while I cheered him on.  (That's about all I can do and I am darn good at it.) (Smile).  She will stay locked up in the corral until she calves so we can keep an eye on her.  I know she would rather be out with the other cows, but darn, that's what she gets for pushing that crap out!  Next time just get up and walk around!  Exercise is good!  Don't be lazy!  OK now I am talking to myself, so I better get off of here and go do something.

No comments: