Monday, May 2, 2011

The Ingredient.......the rest of the story

Here is my story that I give along with my gift of a tin can filled with secret ingredient.  If you missed my previous blog, please read it for a little background.  secret-ingredient-preview
          After being married for over 50 years, it was a hard adjustment for Bill to be at home alone.  With Glenda still in the hospital, Bill was trying to keep up with the household duties on his own.  The hardest part he had found was the cooking.  Although questionable during their early years, Glenda had become, in Bill's eyes, the best cook on earth.  Glenda's meals were always so wonderful, and no matter what he did, his cooking just didn't taste the same.  Same recipes and same ingredients, but not the same taste.  One evening Bill eyed a small tin can that had sat in the kitchen by the stove for as long as he could remember.  He had seen Glenda use the can, but never asked what was in it.  Maybe that is the ingredient that has been missing, he thought to himself.  Smiling, he reach for the tin can, thinking that he may have just found Glenda's secret ingredient.  He slowly opened it, and to his dismay, the can was empty.  Now what, he thought.  As he inspected the can closer, he noticed a piece of paper folded up inside.  Thinking about his beloved Glenda and what she would think of him as he snooped, he carefully pulled out the paper and unfolded it.  Tears started forming as he read the faded words printed on the paper,  "to everything you make, add a dash of love".  Slowly, he placed the paper back in the can, put it back in its proper place, and finished cooking his meal.  As he sat down to eat that evening, his thoughts were still on Glenda and their many wonderful years together, always full of love.  His dinner that night did taste better. 
I hope you enjoyed my little story, and aren't too mad at me for making you wait.  And like I said, I am still looking for my Reminisce Magazine with the original story in it.  But until now, this is my story, and I'm sticking to it.  And by the way, that original little tin can that I gave away and later found is still sitting by my Farmer's grandmothers stove, where I now live and cook.

No comments: