Friday, September 2, 2011

And The Cow Jumped Over The.............Pivot?

NOW for a cow story.  In the summer, we really do not do much with our cattle.  Other than just checking on them now and then, moving them from pasture to pasture, and making sure they have salt, that's about it. They are content just grazing on the grass in the fields, soaking up the sun. They are pretty much "happy cows".  (I had to add that on behalf of ....well you know who you are......wink wink)    The other day, my Farmer was in the pasture where the cows are and started the pivot. 
  As he was riding along the pivot making sure it was moving and everything was good, he came upon one of the pivot towers, and there was a cow stuck on top of the cross member.  Evidently she had tried to jump over the cross member, which connects the wheels, and got stuck.
pivot tower and cross member
  Now this cow is pretty lazy, because it would have taken her maybe 10 steps to get around it.  But no, she wanted to the other side quicker, so she jumped (or attempted to).  So as my Farmer rides up to this cow, he figures that she has been there a while, because all of the grass in front of her, within her reach, was eaten.  As the pivot starts to move, taking the cow with it, (remember she is high centered on it) she becomes a happy cow again, cuz now there is new fresh grass in front of her.  So she just starts eating again!  The heck with trying to get off.  Well, she probably was hungry, and this way she didn't have to walk to fresh grass.  Anyway, my Farmer is watching and trying to figure out how to get her off without getting her hurt and without tearing up the wiring and the gear box on the pivot cross member.   So he calls for help.  But, he does not ask me to come and help or even tell me whats going on, he just asks me to send our son (he was home visiting) out to the field. He did say send a camera with him.  (I guess I should have taken this as a clue, next time I'll know)  In the mean time, he has also called a friend (we will refer to him as my Farmer's Farmer Friend) to see if he might have any ideas on how to remove a cow from a pivot.  Never having seen this before, Farmer Friend says he'll be right there and is first to arrive to help.  After some debating and studying, and just as my son enters the field with the camera, Farmer Friend spooks the cow and off she jumps.  Just like that!  Nothing was torn up or hurt in the process.  Except me, cuz they left me out of the ordeal.  Evidently, my Farmer didn't tell me what was going on cuz he didn't want me to blog about it.  Now would I do that?? (yep)  At least they could have waited until my son was there with the camera before they spooked the cow.  That picture would have been so cool!  I think that was a little narrow minded of them, don't ya think?  My Farmer should always think of me and my blog first.  After all, I am making him famous now aren't I.............? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor cow! They usually free themselves while farmers are standing debating about the why's and wherefores, lol.

I run and sheep and arable farm so don't know a great deal about cattle, though my husband used to have cattle many years ago.

CJ xx