Friday, November 18, 2011

Tied to the Ranch for the Winter.............

I took my camera over to the corral and snapped some pictures of our weaned calves. You can see the mommas in the background behind the fence.  We actually just rebuild this corral fence last year, so this years weaning process has been a test for the fence.  And it past!!
These are the cute little critters I blogged about last spring.  Growing up so fast.  I personally don't think they are cute anymore.  We will keep these critters in a pen and feed them some good hay until about February, then we will sell them. 
Ok, so maybe they are still kind of cute.  But with the weaning of the calves, comes the end of the "get away together" time for my Farmer and me.  No long vacations for us. (like we really do that, but a girl can dream) There are only 2 windows of opportunity during the year when we are not tied to the ranch and can get away together for more than 12  hours; in the spring when the cows are back on grass and we haven't started irrigating, and in the fall when the irrigation has stopped and we have not begun feeding the cattle.  (Oh ya, if it rains TONS during the summer, we can get away.)  We are the only ones here on the ranch now, so one of us has to be here to feed.  I really enjoy going places with my Farmer, especially when we get to spend the night away, go see a movie, go out to dinner, do some shopping, and just in general relax together.  Oh wait,  that last part didn't really go together, shopping with my Farmer and relaxing.  As memory serves me, it's really not that relaxing shopping with him (unless it's equipment shopping, which then is not relaxing for me cuz that just means big $$$).  Ok, the longer I think about it, it really means he has to be here to feed.  He's just fine by himself, and I will do just fine by myself shopping, seeing a movie, eating out, and coming home the next day.  Yep, second thought, I'm totally OK with that.  To bad he's tied to the ranch........but that's life, the farm life that is.

No comments: