Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ready.....set............calve!

We are about one week away from starting our calving season.  We have about 90 mother cows to calve out this spring and then about 7 will calve in the fall.  It's just me and my Farmer, so calving season can be very tiring and stressful. When the cows start calving, we usually try and check on them at least every 3 hours.  Besides helping during the day, I usually do the midnight check. 

This actually works out good for me, I stay up late, and sleep late in the mornings.  Sweet!!! Now I am trying to readjust my inner body clock.  My body is still set on the "get up at 4:00 in the morning to plow snow" mode.  I am staying up later, but still getting up early.  Ugh!!   Oh well, I will adjust eventually.  So on my checks, I look for the cows that are about to calve, along with watching for anything that might be in trouble.  I am still learning what signs to look for in a cow when she is close to calving.  My Farmer can tell hours before she actually calves.  This is not easy for me.  After this long on the ranch, you would think I would have it down.  NOT!!  There are 4 main things my Farmer tells me to look for.
  1.  Her bag is full of milk.  Bingo!!!  This one I can spot!  However, not all bags are the same.
  2.  She is "springing".  This still gets me.  Explanation:  when she is walking around, and the area where the calf comes out is flapping around like a bowl of jello(soft set), I think she's springing.
  3.  Her tail sinks.  This I totally don't get.  I guess her back end drops, but I sure can't see it.
  4.  Her disposition changes.  This I can spot, with help.  When the dog and I are close, and she tries to take the dog, she's close to calving!

But the one sure way I have found to tell that a cow is calving.....is..........Are you ready???  Something is actually hanging out!! That I can spot!! So, make sure to come back and visit me because I can pretty much guarantee I will have some good stories to share with you in the next month.   I would love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.  Until next time.......I'm livin' the farm life and lovin' it!!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I totally understand how you feel Shirley. You'd think Bill and Justin learned from Dee how to spot a calving cow. I got the same advise and like you, the sinking tail thing still evades me. I really loved those cows that would have their calves, clean them up and be feeding them before you knew what was going on. The worst, were the ones that went as far as they could away from the house, in a snowstorm, just to make your life interesting. Kind of like an early Easter egg hunt. lol Keep up the great work on your blog.