Saturday, April 9, 2011

Brave or Not Brave, that is the Question...............

I have been doing the midnight check now for about a week.  Just me and the dogs out for a late night stroll through the cows.  Leaving the nice warm house to go out into the very cold night is the hard part.  But once I bundle up in my 50 pounds of warm clothes, it's not so bad out there. It is actually very peaceful and beautiful out in the pasture that time of the night.  I really kind of
enjoy it. And I keep telling myself that it is really good exercise to walk around with 50 pounds of clothes on.  I figure that when it warms up and I don't have to wear so many clothes, it will feel like I've lost weight.  And that always makes a girl happy.  Whether or not I actually lose the weight, I will feel happy.  Anyways, back to my nightly strolls.  Walking through the cows at night makes you feel so in tune with them.  The air is so quiet and you can hear every sound the cows make, (most of them are rather disgusting noises, but than they are cows after all).  And actually, you can tell if there is a new calf by the way the momma cow is mooing.  The other night as I was walking through the cows I was telling myself how proud I was that I was not afraid of them like I used to be years ago.  I'm brave enough to walk right through the middle of them!  But, after today, I think I am not as brave.  I am going to start riding my ATV through them, instead of walking.  2 Reasons.  1).  Last night, as I was almost to the end of the feed lot, say maybe 30 yards, my dog barks and takes off toward the end of the lot.  I look up and there is a coyote sitting on the snow right there at the end of the lot.  Just a little spooky.   2).  Today as I was checking the cows during the day, I had a couple of cows acting like they wanted to take me.  Evidently they thought I was to close to their calves. As more cows calve, they seem to be getting a little testy, and I'm not sure I trust them anymore.  This is why I am going to ride my ATV when I check the cows tonight.  I feel braver on it, cuz it goes faster than my legs do, especially when I'm dressed like the Michelin man.

No comments: