Saturday, June 25, 2011

Farmer or Rancher..........What's The Difference?

How to tell the difference between a Farmer and a Rancher.......

The Rope........A farmer's rope will not be coiled up properly and will have more than 2 knots in it. He uses his rope for everything from pulling a piece of machinery to tying up a cow.  A rancher only uses his rope for catching livestock and he actually knows how to throw a loop. 

The Repair Kit........A ranchers emergency repair kit consists of a roll of wire and fencing pliers.   A farmers emergency repair kit consists of snap ties, duct tape, and vise grips.


The Hat........A farmer wears a cap usually advertising a seed or equipment company.  A rancher wears his western hat.  Except when they dress up, the farmer will wear his western hat, and the rancher will wear his new western hat.

Choice of Ride........A farmer herds his cows with a 4-wheeler, snowmobile, motorcycle, pickup, tractor, or most anything with a motor.  A rancher uses his horse. 


Why I know I am married to a farmer........He wears a cap, (the cowboy hat goes on when we go out), he always has duct tape handy, he rides a 4-wheeler (and has herded cattle with a snowmobile, but that's another blog in itself), and his rope is not coiled, definitely can't be coiled properly, and for sure has more than 2 knots in it.

(My Farmer is quick to inform me that he does have a rope coiled up hanging in the barn, but that is just because a friend (whom actually ropes critters) just gave it to him and he hasn't had the need to use it yet.) 

I hope this helps you out when it comes to knowing the difference between a farmer and a rancher.  Pretty much, ya just asked about his rope.  That will tell ya.  

I would love to know your view on how you tell the difference between a farmer and a rancher, so please leave me a comment below.   Well, I'd better get going and help my Farmer, since the sun is still shining and there's farming to do...........         .

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hey Shirley, I LOVE THIS POST! You are ROCKIN out such great stories about your life... this is you girl, you found your niche & passion! I know so many people are going to just love your blog!
Thanks for sharing the difference in a Farmer & Rancher!
Love you Shirl!

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

In the western US, most ranches are actually ground not suited for much but growing grass. It is also my experience that ranchers keep their cattle on thousands of acres as opposed to hundreds. I don't know how to operate machinery like a farmer, and have no ground suitable for farming, and I don't like being called a farmer. Not that there's anything wrong with farming. I am a rancher, and cowgirl. Like you said, a farmer probably can't use a rope. I can. :)