Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Calving season is upon us, once again........

It is officially calving season.  A little later than planned, guess it took the bulls a little longer to start working last summer once we let them out in the pasture with the cows.  (This is why I believe that food is actually number one on a males priority list)  (haha)  But it actually is working out nicely.  Two weeks ago it was colder than heck, this week it has warmed up, the snow is pretty much gone off the pasture, so we have dry ground for the cows to calve.  And that is sooo nice.  But it also means they have a lot more area to roam.  So instead of just taking a nice stroll out through the cows to check them, (usually there's still snow that keeps them confined)  we pretty much have to ride the atv around the whole pasture when we do our checks.  (Which we try to do about every 4 hours or so.)  And it was so nice yesterday, that we got the old Willey's Jeep out and drove it around checking the cows.  I totally LOVE using the Jeep.  The cows love it too!  They will follow it around and if we honk the horn, they come running thinking something's in trouble.  Gotta love it!!  And speaking of checking cows, it is now midnight, so time for my shift.  I am once again doing the midnight check.  I take this shift mostly because there is very seldom anything going on.  And I really love the nights.  As I was out checking things under the full moon the other night, I got to thinking.....do I like the nights under a full moon better or the nights with no moon and lots of stars better.  You can see so much more under a full moon, but I do believe I like it best during a dark night with the sky lit up with billions of stars.  What kind of night do you like best?
Well, until next time.....I'm still livin' the life........the farm life that is......

No comments: