Saturday, April 21, 2012

Don't worry, we're here for ya.............


Cows amaze me.  They are such funny, sometimes stupid, yet fascinating creatures.  And calving season seems to bring all of these different characteristics out in them.  Yesterday, we had a heifer that we were watching, because we knew she was very close to calving.  (if you are wondering how we knew, read how to tell when a cow is ready to calve in Ready, set, calve)  We were giving her 1 hour.  If she did not have it by then, we would bring her in to the corral to help.  So we went about doing other things, like assisting another cow and calf already in the corral and feeding the yearling heifers, but still keeping an eye on the heifer.  Well, I kept my eye on the heifer.  I carry with me a small set of binoculars so I can spy on the cows from far away.  (I tend to worry a little more then my Farmer does)  So, my Farmer is doing the chores, and I am trying not to constantly watch her, when all of a sudden, there rose such a clatter, I raised up my glasses to see what was the matter.  (sorry, kind of had fun with that)  And what do I see, but all of the cows running towards the heifer.    I started freaking out, yelling, somethings wrong, she's in trouble, we need to go check!!  My Farmer is saying, it's fine, don't panic.  Well, I convinced him to go check on her.  And, of course, he was right.  Nothing was wrong.  The heifer had had her calf.  But evidently when she seen the object move that had just came out of her, she let out one heck of a beller and it alerted all of the other cows to come check things out.  And they did.  All 90 some head of them!  And I'm sure when the older cows seen what was going on, they were like, "What is your problem!"  "I've delivered ton's of times."  "It's no big deal."  But what amazes me, is that they heard the heifer beller, knew that it had a sound of urgency and went to assist.  What also amazes me is us humans.  We left the heifer and calf alone so they could bond, (she was still very unsure of the calf).  An hour later we drove by with my in-laws and stopped to see how the animals were doing.  We sat there and watched as the new little calf slowly got up on all four hooves, a little wobbly, but he was standing.  Now, we have all seen this a thousand times.  But we all got so excited and cheered when he finally stood, it was really funny.  Crazy huh?  Four adults, clapping and cheering, yelling "yea, he's up!"  But I thought to myself, it doesn't matter how often you see God's wonders at work, it's important to always be amazed. 


No comments: