Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow; Cold; Yes it is still winter......

Well, it snowed some more.  We plowed yesterday and this morning.  I should be catching up on my sleep, but I just can't seem to shut down for the night.  So I figured that I might as well blog.  I took my camera with me on this trip to see if I could capture the beauty after the storm.  You be the judge. 





View from my tractor seat
It was so gorgeous today.  It was only around 19 degrees, but the sun felt warm.  Right now as I am typing this at 10:00pm, the temp out side is 4 degrees below 0.  That is cold.  I don't think I want to even look at the temperature when I get up in the morning.  It is suppose to be -11*.  I am so glad we are not calving yet.   Up until a couple of years ago, we would start calving about now.  But my farmer decided that it just isn't worth the trouble to calve when the weather is so nasty.  If we calve when there is still snow on the ground we do have less disease to deal with in the calves.  However, when it is cold like tonight, we have to make sure we are there as soon as a new calf is born to make sure it gets up and does not freeze, which puts extra stress on us.  Plus going out to check the cows in a blizzard, in 2 feet of snow, is just really not much fun.  So we have put off calving until the middle of April.  Last year didn't work the best, you would have thought that it was February with the way the weather was acting.  However, I have great faith that this April will be better.   

1 comment:

Christina said...

Hey, these are some beautiful pictures, you are becoming quite the photographer! This shows the beauty of this valley in the winter!
Great post of your job during the winter months... you are a true FARMERS wife!