Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Pipe Is In!!!

Well, we went from getting sunburned and dying of heat on the first day of installing the pipe to being wet and cold on the last day.  It's amazing how the weather can change so quickly.  I am just thankful that we only had one day of rain the whole time we were installing the pipe.  Here are some pictures of the pipe installation.
The first scope of dirt
view looking from the pivot center towards my house
this view is from half way to the canal looking back towards my house
Padded pipe
A very large rock that was in the path.  Now it will be yard decor at my house
 This pipe line is approximately 6200 ft.  It has enough of a drop in elevation to run on gravity, which will be wonderful.  The digging went really well.  There was enough help that I didn't have to get in the trench once to pad pipe. (I have padded pipe in the past.  In fact, that's what I was doing on the day of our 10th wedding anniversary, which I often remind my Farmer.  But that's another blog story)  I just stayed up on top and pushed the pipe closer or handed the guys things so they didn't have to get in and out of the trench to much.  Plus, I took pictures.  I also made the crew lunch everyday.  I usually choose to be involved with the field work and have never really been one to stay at home and make the meals.  But I've really been enjoying making lunch for everyone.  And then in the afternoons, my sister-in-law would bring treats out to the crew.  (and she makes wonderful treats!)  When we were digging potatoes, she would brings us goodies every day.  It became something the crew would really look forward to, and it really helped get through those long days.  So it was great to have this little ritual again.  Now that we are done with the pipe, my Farmer is really going to miss those goodies (and I'm sure the other guys will too).  And I guarantee that I will not be making treats for him like that everyday!   So the pipe is in, except for hooking it up to the canal.  And then the next step is removing things that are in the way of the pivot going around in a complete circle.  Like some trees, old machinery, the shop, power poles, you know just stuff.   This step might take a little while, but heck, we have all winter to get it done.........

No comments: